Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Drafty Door Issue

A few years ago, we remodeled the kitchen. I decided at the time to replace the old kitchen door that provides access to the back yard. I thought I was being frugal in merely replacing the slab (i.e. the "door" panel itself) while leaving behind the jamb and related trim.

Bad choice. I got the new slab to fit, but it was a chore and the results weren't great. Subsequent weather stripping was only a partial solution. Consequence: we experienced some ferocious drafts around the door, especially on the coldest of winter days. LESSON LEARNED: install pre-hung doors! They are manufactured to provide a snug, weather-sealed fit.


Our energy audit confirmed what I already new to be true: this calls for a retrofit. This will be a do-it-yourself job for later this summer when the weather gets warmer. I expect to pay about $250 for materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment